Monday 12 May 2014

Technical choices and basic ideas

File Format
When creating my trailer, I need to use a file format that has a high video and audio quality, as well as being a format that can be edited easily (so supported by the programs and resources I will be using to create it). Previously I have been working with QuickTime movies, which have been perfect for my usages, so I will continue to use QuickTime as my file format during working on the trailer (as well as rendering the finished product into a .Mov). I could of gone for other formats (such as .wav or .mp4, but they aren't as widely used in the suites I would be using, so I decided to go with .mov.

Animation technique
to create the animation for the trailer, I will be using live shot video, gameplay shots and motion graphics all mixed together. This all be put into Adobe after effects for animating, where I will use various effects and techniques to create the specific look I am going for (80's retrofuturism). I could of used other software studios and animation techniques (such as stop motion animation), but I'm less technically able with those processes, and so the end quality would be worse than my chosen ones.

Framerate
The trailer will run at 30 frames per second. This is a smooth framerate, and won't give any noticeable playback stuttering during viewing. It also allows me to go into a reasonable depth when pulling apart the footage to work on individual frames. I could of designed this trailer to run at 15 frames per second, but unless there's a specific or artistic reason for it, the trailer would just look choppy. It would also be possible for the trailer to run at 60 frames per second, but it would just create more work for what would essentially be the same viewing experience (it's important to remember the timescale in which I have to create the trailer).

Audio
I will render the audio at 44,100kz, as this will give a full sound range for any audio which will be in my trailer. I forgot to raise the audio sample rate (leaving It at around 8000kz) during one of my previous renders, and the sound quality was drastically reduced. To stop this issue I will use a reasonably high sample rate for my audio.

Audience
The intended audience for my trailer will be those who viewed it at Fareham byte, although it will be aimed at anyone who looks on my site. This could be younger audiences, so I don't think that the trailer should include gratuitous violence, or sexual scenes. Generally, I believe that my audience by and at large will be of a mixed gender, and of the ages between 11-60. They will also be viewing the trailer in the context of somewhat knowing what my site/game is about (having already been to my games landing page).

I want the trailer to have deep, vibrant colours, and I believe that this will attract the sort of people who would be interested in my game. I also want the sound to have a deep, progressive sound (dubstep or house perhaps) which will be aimed at the sort of audience who would view my game.

Basic ideas:

  • Mega mecha fights pidgeo, city explodes
  • Mega mecha fights pidgeo, city is saved
  • Woman logs into mega mecha systems
  • Woman reads mega mecha computer files
  • Citizens running from mega fight
  • Soldiers shooting at pidgeo
  • Mega mecha comes out of darkness
  • Mega mecha gameplay in someones eye
  • Fight between mecha and pidgeo in someone's eye
  • Mega flying toward pidgeo
  • Explosion in city with mega mecha behind
  • Mega mecha slam dunks pidgeo into a basketball hoop
  • Mega's fist hitting pidgeo
  • A slow, boring look trailer which then goes "ONLY JOKING!" and goes into different awesome shots of mega mecha punching things and gameplay (Uses dead island trailer music) (3)
Further ideas:
  • Woman logs into "Mega Mecha Corp" system, views important files about the design of Mega Mecha (1)
  • Camera slowly zooms up to the head of Mega Mecha in the darkness, flashes of gameplay and other shots while it zooms, finishes with mega mechas head in close up.
  • Camera spins around a 3D model of mega Mecha, gameplay and shots of the design of mega Mecha flash in at pre-determined points in the clip.
  • Shot begins black, parts of mega mecha begin to fade in from the darkness (as if being taken pictures of with flash photography) before spinning outwards to reveal the whole mega mecha model. The face then switches to a feed of the gameplay. (2)
  • Mega mecha gameplay in the reflection of someones eye, then switching to mega mechas perspective flying towards the pidgeon, then ends with a shot of mega mecha smacking the pidgeon, with the name of the game in the sky.
  • Shots of the inside of mega mecha and his electronics, then flying across the chip board, out of his head, and zooming out from his face (which intermittently buzzes and shows the gameplay)
 Further explained ideas:

  •  (1) This idea would include a starting shot of the login screen (probably an old and fuzzy looking monitor, with the bright login screen taking up most of the screen. This would then go to a shot of the woman's eye, performing an iris login sequence. The third shot would then be the login screen accepting the authorisation, going to the files on the design of mega mecha. These shots would then be made up of the same monitor/screen combination of the other shots, but show renders of the makeup of Mega Mechas defensive skin and a 3D spinning render of him.
  • (2) This trailer idea would begin with a shot of just black. The shot after this would be as if someone had taken a flash photo of mega mechas rusted leg in the dark. It would include high detail on some of the interesting aspects of mega mecha (his jetpack thruster foot etc, high def rust effects). It would then have another flash shot of his fists, firstly lowed and in the next flash shot raised. It would then scroll upwards from his feet to his face (as he faded in from the darkness) to show his glowing face/ eye. This eye would then flicker to show gameplay footage. The final shot would include mega mechas head pulling back slightly, before flying into the screen and leaving an imprint of his before flying off. This imprint would then stay on the screen while the words "Mega Mecha Throwdown" slowly zoomed onto the screen.
  • (3) The trailer begins with some shots similar to the loading screens in grand theft auto two (using my art and parallax viewing). with the music from dead island two starting softly, there will be a few shots of Tokyo city on fire, with people running away (light screaming sounds). It will make out that the game is slow and depressing, before the words "JUST JOKING" fly into the shot and smack against the screen. The next shot with be live action and animation shots of mega mecha punching pidgeo repeatedly, as well as explosions and other interesting stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment